Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Pizza Saga!

They spotted a “Pizza Boy” delivering Pizza to a nearby shop while I picked them up from day care. Tammu said “Mujhe bhi Pizza khana hai!” Although I am not the kind who entertains all their demands, I suddenly realized that the last time I had pizza (not made by me) was before they were born. I make Pizza at home mostly by buying store bought pizza bases and we all enjoy them. But because Abbas is not so fond of Pizza, we have never entered a Pizza joint together. I have always had my pizzas with ex-colleagues in Kolkata! So, I promised them that we’ll order Pizza home.


Last Friday evening, I told them with all dramatic affects (I love the excitement that glows up their faces and all our spirits)

Me - Mannu Tammu, I’m gonna make a call to the Pizza Shop. Tring Tring Tring Tring

Mannu - “Aaar??” (Meaning and)

Me - “Hello, Could you please bring a Pizza for Mannu Tammu, Mamma and Baba?”

Mannu - “Aar??”

Me - and after some time…

Mannu - “Aar??”

Me - the Pizza Uncle would carry the Bi...g square Box

Mannu - “Aar??”

Me - with round Pizza which is Ho...t

Mannu - “Aar??”

Me - A Pizza uncle would ride a Scooter (with fist action) Vroom Vroom Vrooooom

Mannu - “Aar??”

Me - And come very fast to our house

Mannu - “Aar??”

Me - and rings the door bell Ding Dong Ding Dong

Mannu - “Aar??”

Me - We three will open the door

Mannu - “Aar??”

Me - And Uncle will say Tantada Here is Pizza for Mannu Tammu!

*Mannu Tammu together jump and shout - “Yay”*

Mannu - “Aar??”

Me - We will eat the yummmmy taaaaasty delllllllllicious Pizza.

After all this I proceed to make a call. The guy asks me the location for delivery. When I tell them the name of our area, they say “Sorry Ma’am we don’t deliver in your area”. It was hard to decide who was more sad with this news among us three!

Called up Abbas who was heading back home. But he had driven way past the Pizza joints and asked me if he should drive back! I was confused? I finally said “No, you come home. We’ll see.” I called the other pizza joint which is near kids’ school and it is quite close to our home too. They denied delivery to our area again. Sigh. It was as though the whole universe was conspiring to deprive us from having Pizza. Consoling kids was a tad easier than consoling myself. They forgot about Pizza but I was strolling across the house restlessly and was at my wit’s end. (The thought of rustling up a dinner at that point of time was bugging me actually) Abbas came home and looking at three of our faces, he offered to take us out to eat Pizza. And then as usual, Abbas and I procrastinated our Pizza plans and ended up dinting at a Multi cuisine restaurant. (Dinner sans rice or Indian bread puts us both off!)

The next Friday I left an hour early from office, picked them up from the day care and went to the Pizza joint near their school. We were happy or what!! As we waited for our Pizza to arrive, Tammu pointed towards the TV and said “Mamma, ye dekho TV!!!”. Perhaps she thought TV was a luxury only our household owned… Lol. Then she said “Ismein Chota Bheem nahi aata hai?” I told her “It’s not our TV. So we can’t switch channels here”. She was constantly eyeing the nearby table. When they were served Chicken wings, she screeched “Ye dekho, uncle yellow chicken kha raha hai. Mujhe bhi chahiye” I said “Ok, I have already ordered for today. We’ll have it next time”. And thank god those uncles were foreigners and didn’t understand her speech.

And then like a typical Indian mom, I was planning to shove in those packets of herbs that we had not used any way sneakily when nobody was watching! What? I’m not cheap. It comes as complimentary with the Pizza I bought!!! When I finally managed to thrust it in my bag, Mannu said on top of her voice “Mamma, ye bag mein kyu ghusa rahi ho?” This girl has got a loud speaker in her throat and I whispered to her that I’ll make pizza for her at home using that. That was incentive enough to keep her mum.

Mannu Tammu finally waved at all the uncles and aunties there as though there were some celebrities. When we came out and were waiting for an auto, I saw that a mother-daughter duo was looking at Mannu and waving at her. She tells me “Mamma, ye aunty mujhe ‘Look at’ kiya”. And those 2 laughed hearing her words. So did I.

All in all, we had fun. Abbas was glad coz he was spared as he doesn’t like Pizzas and more so, coz his daughters finally got to eat Pizza!

No comments: