Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

We’re glad, they are daughters

It’s hard to believe that even in today’s age, people still crave for sons, they still believe in the funda ‘Atleast a son’. People shower me with unnecessary sympathy when they learn that I have twin daughters “Tch tch, achhochho, Ayyo, Both daughters??? How good it would have been if it was one boy and one girl?” No thanks, I’m thankful to God he blessed me with 2 girls. And then some people cross their limits and ask “Won’t you try for a son again?” Excuse me??? Why should I discuss my family plans with you?! Some people are of the opinion that our “Vansh” (family name) will be extinct without a son. Vansh, my foot! What’s in a name after all? For me its one’s heart and behaviour that matters not his family name…

Abbas and I are elated to have both girls. How I love dressing them up, buying accessories, trying wide assortment of apparels, making them wear matching rubber bands, clips, bangles, bindis… It’s all so much fun. They also keep a watch on my accessories to check whether my bangles, ear rings are matching my dress or not. They help me in the kitchen; they pick their playthings and place them back before going to bed. (Well, I have trained them to do that, and would have done the same had it been a son. My daughter-in-law would have been lucky!!!) There are some things which they do without teaching them which give more pleasure. They massage my forehead when I say my head is aching! They pick my empty tea cup and keep it in the sink for me. Get a bottle of water for me and ask me not to get up when I am thirsty! They do naughty things, and I yell at them at times when they don’t listen to me. But I melt down as they rush to me and give a bear hug full of tears and say “Please don’t scold Mamma”…

A Dad is the first and the ever lasting man in a girl’s life. My dad was my first love and I always prayed I should get a husband just like him :-D. My daughters are also their daddy’s girls and Abbas thoroughly enjoys all the pampering he receives from Mantam. He craves to hear ‘Baba’ from them and is extra caring about his daughters. I wonder if he cared so much for me even during our courtship. He always worries about the men who will take his daughters away from him. Reminds me of the quote by Jim Bishop - “Watching your daughter being collected by her date feels like handing over a million dollar Stradivarius to a gorilla.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the post ended with the love and bonding between the parents and the daughters, the beginning didn't bother me!
Just 'IGNORE' those people who talk about wanting a son, Seema. I wish there was a 'delete' button to all these crappy words the outsiders mouth! Seriously!

Seema said...

Yes S&S. Have now learnt to 'IGNORE' these crappy words.